Thursday, September 16, 2010

Busy Busy Busy...

The last few weeks have been hectic to say the least. The dust from choosing classes is finally starting to settle and I'm establishing some semblance of a routine, but everything is still pretty rough. I haven't really explained my schedule too well yet, so I'll give y'all the run down. Mondays Wednesday Friday I get up around 9, take a shower and get ready to go. I'm out the door around 9:45 when I'll grab a yogurt and bagel or apple or something to munch on as I walk to my first class, Intro to Psych. A girl on my floor, Sarah, is in that class as well, so we normally walk together. That's an hour long lecture class, but it's been quite interesting so far. After that, I have a seven minute passing period to book it to chemistry lecture. The professor is good fun, and randomly engaging. Example: one day, randomly, a bunch of people from Red Bull (the drink) came and were giving out red bulls during lecture. Why? Not really sure... But it was funny to watch Professor Loomis react. After that I have a two hour break, where I'll get a quick lunch then work in the library, normally getting ahead in reading or physics. At 2 I go to writing which is my only non-lecture class. It's small and okay, but it's in the basement of the engineering building for some reason, meaning it's in a small, white washed, windowless room with very artificial lighting that steadily crushes your soul. But despite this the class is fun, with good talkative people! After this I have a short walk to Physics, which is really fun lecture class, that is more supplementary to the reading. My professor tries not to teach us new material (yet) but rather correct misconceptions, and clarify how we think through and conceptualize problems. By then, it's 4pm, and I'll either do some more work at the library, or (more commonly) go to KWUR to work or rip cd's or something.

Speaking of KWUR (I'll talk about my Tuesday/Thursdays next time... gotta have something to keep everybody coming back!), the schedule was finalized, and my show time will be 2-3... am... Tuesday morning. And I know what you're thinking: "OUCH!" Sure, this is kind of a crummy show time. But it does have some good merits. First and foremost, I'll be able to survive this time, because I only have classes every other Tuesdays at 1pm. Also, this is pretty much the only time slot in which is still Safe Harbor Hours (which allow me to play expletives). So in short, I can play anything during these hours.
If anybody wants to listen, you can go to www.kwur.com, and then on the left side of the screen, click "128k" Under "Listen Live". You may need itunes or a similar application... I'm not really sure. But if you're not feeling up to listening at midnight (for you west coast people), don't fear! KWUR automatically records and stores every show, so I can upload an mp3 of my show to a website and let anybody download it. Sure it won't be quite the same as listening live, but at least you won't have to stay up so late! I'll get more details when I know exactly how its all gonna work!

More cool KWUR news is that I joined the production staff. The production staff is in charge of getting bands who're coming to town to come into the studio and play a short set for us to broadcast live, and then give a short interview. So last Monday after classes I helped out for three hours as three artists came through and played. It was very cool, even if they were artists I had never heard of.

One final bit of particularly noteworthy news is that I went to one of the practices of the water polo team! It was very intersting, but I don't think I'm going to continue with it. For one, every other person there had at least swam in high school, and was in much better shape for the kind of activity that they were doing. I think what I'll end up doing is trying to swim and work out during open swim at the Athletic Complex, getting me in better shape. Then next semester/year I might try again. I haven't entirely decided, but even as a club sport it seems very intensive and I don't know if I'll have the bandwidth for that.

But oh well. I do believe it is time to start the mini-essay I have to write. I'll try to update this more often (I know, I know, I've been slacking).

I love you all and can't wait to see you (eventually)!
Love,
Brendan

2 comments:

  1. You rock.

    And I especially liked: "small, white washed, windowless room with very artificial lighting that steadily crushes your soul.."

    You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update!
    Keep it up.
    Don't forget to scheule some downtime!
    iLY

    ReplyDelete