Wednesday, September 22, 2010

First Show

Well, monday night/tuesday morning was my first radio show! I ended up showing up to the station at around 10 or 11 monday night and just worked there, while burning cds to my computer and getting ready. When I was finally up, I was really nervous, but had a few things scripted out, as well as a rough idea of what songs I was going to play. So you all know, there are some basic things that I have to do during my show in order to keep the station legal. On the top of the hour and the 1/2 hour I have to read a station ID, which is simply "K-W-U-R 90.3 Clayton FM". Then after every 15 and 45 I have to read a public service announcement (PSA), and if I'm going to be playing songs that say expletives, I have to read a disclaimer that basically says this may be offensive and does not represent WashU or KWUR. Then finally, I have to log every song I play into the computer system called Unicron.
During my show, everything was going well, but I was really nervous, so I kept on butchering artist names, making nervous mistakes, and falling behind on logging the songs I played. But I was having a ton of fun, and apparently it sounded really good. But then about half way through my show, Unicron crashed. I had no idea what to do then so I kind of freaked out. I ended up just writing down every song I played and when I did PSA's by hand, which was exactly what I should have done. It was still really stressful and not a great way to finish off my first show. But all in all, for my first show I was really happy with it.
Unfortunately though, when I woke up tuesday morning (11am...) I felt really crappy. I had been fighting a cold for a while, but I think staying up till 3:30am gave the cold a bit of an upper hand. Luckily I only had a physics lab, which ended up only taking an hour or so, so I was back at my dorm around 4 and then slept till 7. During that time I was fairly feverish so it wasn't very fun. And to make matters worse, that was the night of my interview for EST!
For those of you who I haven't told about EST (which is pretty much everybody...), EST is the Emergency Support Team, which is the on campus, student led emergency responders. I decided to join the 100+ freshmen who apply (only freshmen and sophomores can apply, and sophomores can only if they already have their emt certification), and try to make the team of 14-18 people. Last night was the first of the interview process and, despite me feeling sick, I think I did pretty well! With a little bit of luck, I'll get called back for the second round of interviews (and then the third, if necessary). If I do end up making the team, then I'll have to take cpr training this semester, then next semester I'll enroll in a 3 credit class, which turns out to be around 8 hours a week, which will prepare me for the emt certification test. Also part of this, will be 40 hours of on site training, which means either riding in an ambulance on calls, or working in an ER.
It's all pretty intensive, but I think it'd be an amazing thing to do, so I really hope I make it!
That's all for now,
-Brendan

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you did a great job.
    Can we get a URL, or a podcast of your show?
    Hope the EST thing works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun stuff! Take care of yo'self.

    ReplyDelete